EuroMedtech™ 2014 announces pre-conference business development workshop and May 8 special Diagnostics session
The sixth annual EuroMedtech™partnering conference will be held May 7–8, 2014 in Linz, Austria.
EuroMedtech is Europe’s leading medical technology partnering conference, providing collaboration opportunities to medtech decision makers and investors.
A pre-conference Business Development Workshop entitled “Effective Innovation Portfolio Management for Medical Device Projects and Portfolios,” sponsored by Catenion will be held May 6 at Courtyard by Marriott Linz Hotel. The workshop builds upon a case study directed at assessing risk, return and strategic fit for early stage vs. late stage projects and is open to all attendees.
The first full conference day, Wednesday, May 7, features an opening plenary called “Collaborating with payers: New patterns of engagement,” moderated by Raman Minhas of UK, Hygieia with panelists Christian Krey of Emperra; Anne Portwich of LSP; and Klaus Stoeckemann of Peppermint Ventures.
On Thursday, May 8, a special extended afternoon series of keynotes and panel will address pressing issues in the Diagnostics space. As the number of patients, including from an aging population, is expected to grow significantly in the future, there is an urgent need to develop a new generation of diagnostic devices, as well as assess and improve the effectiveness of current in vitro diagnostic tests and procedures. These will have a major impact in prevention, early treatment and better management of diseases leading to benefits not only to the patients but also major savings to healthcare providers all over the world.
Leading clinicians, academic and industry experts will present current unmet clinical needs, the challenges faced by clinicians, academic and industry utilizing new materials and technologies, and hurdles to effective collaboration at all points of diagnostic development, and touch upon how emerging new regulations may impact the successful implementation of new products. The keynotes are described as:
- Unmet clinical needs in diabetes with Professor Colin Dayan, Director, Institute of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, Cardiff University School of Medicine;
- Academic and clinical challenges in in vitro diagnostics with Professor Carl Heneghan, Director, Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine;
- Measurement challenges in clinical diagnostics with Professor Pankaj Vadgama, IRC Biomedical Materials, Queen Mary University of London, UK;
- Adapting new technologies for industrial application with Professor Peter Cornish, Head, Business Development, BBI Group.
Professor Mehdi Tavakoli, Technical Director of Health KTN in the UK will introduce and chair the extended session.
“According to some reports, diagnostics, and especially in vitro diagnostics, are expected to be the world’s largest medtech segment within the next four years,” said Tavakoli. “This special session is the right topic at the right time to explore the role of diagnostics in healthcare application and the progress toward implementing cheap, accessible medical technologies.”
Produced by EBD Group, EuroMedtech caters to companies involved in all parts of the advanced medical technology industry, from those serving mainline therapeutic categories such as drug delivery and augmented intervention in medicine, through diagnostics, imaging and eHealth to those involved in platform technologies such as micro and nanotechnological tools and implantable devices.
The 2013 event attracted 261 dealmakers from 191 companies who participated 600 one-to-one meetings. The event also featured presentations by 44 of the most exciting medtech companies in Europe.
Online registration for EuroMedtech 2014 is open until May 5, 2014, 18:00 CET, after which all registrations will be handled on site.
Follow EuroMedtech on Twitter: @EuroMedtech, hashtag #EMT14.
Or join the Medtech Industry Group on partnering360® to kick off your partnering activities before EuroMedtech, and throughout the year. partnering360 is a dynamic network of life science industry experts that will enable you to continue the dialogue from your partneringONE meetings at events and identify and connect with new partners anytime, year-round. Join the vibrant community of medtech companies on partnerning360 today.
About EBD Group
EBD Group is the leading partnering firm for the global life science industry. Since 1993, biotech, pharma and medical device companies have leveraged EBD Group’s partnering conferences, technology and services to identify business opportunities and develop strategic relationships essential to their success.
EBD Group’s conferences are run with the support of leading corporations and international trade associations and include:
- BIO-Europe® and BIO-Europe Spring®, Europe’s largest life science partnering conferences, supported by the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- BioPharm America™, the fastest growing partnering event in North America
- Biotech Showcase™, a unique forum in San Francisco for presenting to investors and business development executives, co-produced with Demy-Colton Life Science Advisors
- BioEquity Europe, the investor conference co-organized with BioCentury Publications and BIO
- ChinaBio® Partnering Forum, the first dedicated biotech/pharma partnering conference in China, co-produced with ChinaBio® LLC
- EuroMedtech™, EBD Group’s partnering event for the innovative medical technology industry
- The Global Impact Forum™, a unique and innovative partnering conference in impact investing and venture philanthropy.
EBD Group’s sophisticated web-based partnering service, partneringONE®, is used as the partnering engine at numerous third-party events around the world, and partnering360® is the open online community of life science dealmakers that enhances partnering experiences throughout the year.
EBD Group is an Informa company. Informa is the largest publicly-owned organizer of exhibitions, conferences and training in the world.
EBD Group has offices in the USA and Europe.
For more information please visit www.ebdgroup.com.