Peptomyc’s Innovation Targeting Cancer Wins Startup Slam Competition at BIO-Europe Spring® Barcelona
- Panel of expert judges selects winner from 14 short-listed European start-ups that showed greatest potential for transformative healthcare solutions
- Startup Slam sponsor and co-host Johnson & Johnson Innovation recognise high calibre of entries selected to compete for prestigious award
Barcelona, Spain, 22 March 2017 – The winner of the third Startup Slam, taking place at BIO-Europe Spring® on 21 March 2017 in Barcelona, was today announced as Peptomyc S.L. a cancer therapeutic company from Spain. Peptomyc will receive mentorship from Johnson & Johnson Innovation and complimentary registration to BIO-Europe from EBD Group, which is taking place on 6-8 November in Berlin. This special session was sponsored and presented by Johnson & Johnson Innovation and featured pitches from 14 European start-ups from the life sciences sector.
All the contestants were asked to present their company and innovation—either a new therapeutic product or medical technology platform—in only three minutes to a floor of experienced investors and potential partners. Laura Soucek, CEO of Peptomyc, focused on developing treatments for cancer using myc inhibitors.
Nerida Scott, Vice President, New Ventures & Transactions, Johnson & Johnson Innovation, said: “This year’s Startup Slam at BIO Europe Spring reflects the high calibre of entries and the wide range of innovation in all fields of life sciences from HIV, therapeutic targeting and oncology to personalised wellness. This well-established session provides an exclusive platform for emerging entrepreneurs to pitch their company to a room of leaders and investors, who can help advance the most promising science into potential transformative healthcare solutions. The collaboration builds on Johnson & Johnson Innovation’s work with many industry associations and academics around the world to foster and accelerate innovation; we’re delighted it has once again identified new and fresh talent and pioneering research.”
The 14 short-listed life science companies are as follows:
- Aligen Therapeutics, S. L. [Spain]
- Epical Biosciences S.L. [Spain]
- IDP Discovery Pharma [Spain]
- IPROTEOS S.L. [Spain]
- Junction Therapeutics [Ireland]
- Leukos Biotech [Spain]
- MicroQuin [UK]
- Oncostellae [Spain]
- Oppilotech Ltd [UK]
- Oxford Endovascular Ltd [UK]
- Peptomyc S.L. [Spain]
- TILT Biotherapeutics [Finland]
- VAXXIT SRL. [Italy]
- vitalityDNA [UK]
The expert judging panel consisted of members of the Johnson & Johnson Innovation team and independent investment and venture capital firms: Joris De Maeyer, Venture Coach, Bioqube Ventures; Antonio Gomez, PhD, Spain New Venture Lead, Johnson & Johnson Innovation; Nerida Scott, PhD, VP, New Ventures & Transactions, Johnson & Johnson Innovation; Montserrat Vendrell, PhD, General Partner, Alta Life Sciences; and Karen Wagner, PhD, General Partner, Ysios Capital.
The Startup Slam is supported by regional partners such as BioCat and Innovation Forum.
The winners of the previous two editions were EpiAxis Therapeutics and QureTech Bio.
Photos available on request.
Erin Righetti, +1 (760) 930 0500, firstname.lastname@example.org
About EBD Group
EBD Group is the leading partnering firm for the global life science industry. Since 1993, biotech, pharma and medical device companies have leveraged EBD Group’s partnering conferences, technology and services to identify business opportunities and develop strategic relationships essential to their success.
EBD Group’s conferences are run with the support of leading corporations and international trade associations and include:
- BIO-Europe® and BIO-Europe Spring®, Europe’s largest life science partnering conferences, supported by the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO)
- BioPharm America™, the fastest growing partnering event in North America
- Biotech Showcase™, a unique forum in San Francisco for presenting to investors and business development executives, co-produced with Demy-Colton
- BioEquity Europe, the investor conference co-organized with BioCentury Publications and BIO
- ChinaBio® Partnering Forum, the first dedicated biotech/pharma partnering conference in China, co-produced with ChinaBio® Group
- Biolatam®, facilitating partnering among global life sciences executives in Latin America’s vibrant life science hubs
- Cell & Gene Exchange, a partnering forum focused on the patient community in cell and gene therapy sectors, co-produced with Alliance for Regenerative Medicine (ARM).
EBD Group’s sophisticated web-based partnering service, partneringONE®, is used as the partnering engine at numerous third-party events around the world, and partnering360® is the open online community of life science dealmakers that enhances partnering experiences throughout the year.
Tune into EBD Group’s Insight for timely coverage of news that influences the business strategies of the life science industry.
EBD Group is an Informa company. Informa is the largest publicly-owned organizer of exhibitions, conferences and training in the world.
EBD Group has offices in the USA and Europe.
For more information, please visit www.ebdgroup.com.