Unprecedented Biotech Showcase™ 2014 attendance reflects investor appetite for biotech innovation
The sixth annual Biotech Showcase™ investor conference wrapped up last week in San Francisco with record attendance. The event, every January at Parc 55 Wyndham San Francisco – Union Square, is an investment weathervane for the biotech industry.
“There was clearly significant momentum behind the conference this year. The event benefited from the up market for life sciences companies, fueled by solid fundamentals and the return of generalist investors. The companies that went public in 2013 have continued to perform well—a good indicator for this industry,” said Sara Jane Demy, Principle at Demy-Colton Life Science Advisors, and co-organizer of the event.
“The main attraction at Biotech Showcase, and the reason behind its continued growth year after year, is the small companies,” said Florian Schoenhammer, Group Managing Director at EBD Group, co-organizer of the event. “Small companies are most often the source of the important discoveries behind the most compelling drugs, and Biotech Showcase plays a critical role in helping great science be discovered and advanced through partnerships.”
Biotech Showcase 2014 highlights include:
- Corporate presentations by 242 public and private biotech and life science companies;
- The stage of development of the assets of the Class of 2014 included Phase III (10%), Phase II (35%), Phase I (15%), with 14% approved and marketed, and the balance of assets were pre-clinical;
- More than 1,700 delegates from 1,100 companies attended;
- 3,700 one-to-one investor and partnering meetings were scheduled throughpartneringONE®.
“The growth in the Biotech Showcase is not surprising. The event has filled an important need. It has become the home for the industry’s most innovative companies each new year,” saidBen Bonifant, Partner at Triangle Insights Group. Bonifant moderated the lunch panel “How do you define value?” with industry stakeholders on the third day of the event.
Biotech Showcase is powered by partneringONE®, the industry’s most advanced partnering system that enables delegates to efficiently identify and arrange meetings with potential investors and partners.
View program panels on partnering360:Insight at www.partnering360.com/insight
About EBD Group
EBD Group is the leading partnering firm for the global life science industry. Since 1993, biotech, pharma and medical device companies have leveraged EBD Group’s partnering conferences, technology and services to identify business opportunities and develop strategic relationships essential to their success.
EBD Group’s conferences are run with the support of leading corporations and international trade associations and include:
- BIO-Europe® and BIO-Europe Spring®, Europe’s largest life science partnering conferences, supported by the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- BioPharm America™, the fastest growing partnering event in North America
- Biotech Showcase™, a unique forum in San Francisco for presenting to investors and business development executives, co-produced with Demy-Colton Life Science Advisors
- BioEquity Europe, the investor conference co-organized with BioCentury Publications and BIO
- ChinaBio® Partnering Forum, the first dedicated biotech/pharma partnering conference in China, co-produced with ChinaBio® LLC
- EuroMedtech™, EBD Group’s partnering event for the innovative medical technology industry
- The Global Impact Forum™, a unique and innovative partnering conference in impact investing and venture philanthropy.
EBD Group’s sophisticated web-based partnering service, partneringONE®, is used as the partnering engine at numerous third-party events around the world, and partnering360® is the open online community of life science dealmakers that enhances partnering experiences throughout the year.
EBD Group is an Informa company. Informa is the largest publicly-owned organizer of exhibitions, conferences and training in the world.
EBD Group has offices in the USA and Europe.
For more information please visit www.ebdgroup.com.
About Biotech Showcase™ 2014
Biotech Showcase™ is an investor and partnering conference devoted to providing private and small- and mid-cap biotechnology companies an opportunity to present to and meet with investors and biopharmaceutical executives during the course of one of the largest annual healthcare conferences that attracts investors and biopharmaceutical executives from around the world.
The 2013 edition showed a substantial increase in the number of presenting companies, as well as significant growth in the number of attendees and one-to-one meetings. The 2013 event featured corporate presentations by 236 public and private biotechnology and life science companies, and drew 1,600 delegates who engaged in 2,500 one-to-one meetings.
Follow Biotech Showcase 2014 on Twitter: twitter.com/ebdgroup (hashtag: #BTS14)